How to Avoid Road Rage

I was driving to the local post office today and traveling at the speed limit (or maybe a couple of mph over). Lo and behold I notice one car behind me ... right on my tail. I am pondering why on Earth the person is driving like that. And then the person (a woman, oddly enough [in my experience]) holds down her horn until she turns off on a side street.
    I was truly nonplussed.
    Fortunately I had the mental resource of amoralism to account for the whole thing. My analysis is that this person thought I had been doing something wrong. It wasn't just that she wanted me to go faster. How do I know the difference? By the horn-blowing, whose only purpose was to punish me. How do I know that? Because the driver only began to do it as she was about to turn off the road; in other words, it was a parting gesture, like a middle finger -- she was not doing it for the instrumental purpose of trying to get me to speed up (which is probably what the tail-gating was attempting to accomplish).
    This kind of event -- so common in countless guises -- explodes all the pretensions of morality. For the bottom line, it seems to me, is indeed that she wanted me to go faster. Transforming her desire into a judgment that I was doing something wrong is the way morality puffs up our desires in an effort to give them the advantage over other people's desires. The fact that, by common-sense morality, I was actually doing the right thing by staying close to the speed limit, and she was in the wrong for tail-gating and blowing her horn, just shows how infinitely malleable morality is to fit whatever our desires happen to be.
    I love it! This is how I avoid road rage ... by becoming fascinated by human psychology.

Popular posts from this blog

Obligations to Future Generations

What Is the Question? What Is the Answer? The Relation between Meta-ethics and Normative Ethics or On the Good Life

This One’s for You: A Trilogy of Amorality